California Consumer Protection
California Department of Consumer Affairs Address: 1625 North Market Boulevard, Suite N 112, Sacramento, CA 95834 Phone: 1-800-952-5210 (Toll-free Consumer Information Center) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: https://www.dca.ca.gov/ Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time)
State Level Agencies and Laws Protecting Consumers against Robocalls, Telemarketers, and Debt Collection Calls in California:
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.100 to § 1798.199): The California Consumer Privacy Act provides consumers with greater control over their personal information. It grants consumers the right to know what personal information businesses collect and the right to opt-out of the sale of their data.
- California Telemarketing Sales Rule (Title 16, California Code of Regulations, § 309.1 to § 309.9): The California Telemarketing Sales Rule regulates telemarketing activities and imposes restrictions on deceptive and abusive practices. It requires telemarketers to maintain and respect the state’s “Do Not Call” list.
- California Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (Cal. Civ. Code § 1788 to § 1788.32): The California Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act closely mirrors the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and regulates debt collection practices in California. It prohibits harassment, false statements, and unfair practices by debt collectors.
Additional State Level Agencies:
- California Public Utilities Commission: Address: 505 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102 Phone: 1-800-649-7570 (Consumer Affairs Branch) Email: email@example.com Website: https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/ Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time)
The California Public Utilities Commission oversees public utilities, including telecommunications services. Consumers can contact the commission regarding telecommunications-related issues or complaints.
- California Attorney General’s Office – Consumer Protection Division: Address: 1300 “I” Street, Suite 1740, Sacramento, CA 95814 Phone: 1-800-952-5225 (Toll-free Consumer Hotline) Email: via online form – https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company Website: https://oag.ca.gov/consumers Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time)
The Consumer Protection Division of the California Attorney General’s Office is responsible for handling consumer complaints and investigating potential violations of consumer protection laws.
How to Make a Report:
To report robocall violations, telemarketing abuses, debt collection issues, or other consumer-related complaints in California, you can file a consumer complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs. Contact their toll-free Consumer Information Center at 1-800-952-5210 during business hours or submit a complaint online through their website at https://www.dca.ca.gov/.
For complaints related to public utilities or telecommunications services, you can contact the California Public Utilities Commission at 1-800-649-7570 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report consumer complaints against businesses or companies, contact the California Attorney General’s Office – Consumer Protection Division. You can call their toll-free Consumer Hotline at 1-800-952-5225 or submit a complaint online through their website at https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company.