New York Consumer Protection
- New York State Division of Consumer Protection: Address: 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12231 Phone: 1-800-697-1220 (Toll-Free in NY) or 518-474-8583 Email: email@example.com Website: https://ag.ny.gov Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Eastern Time)
- New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS): Address: One State Street, New York, NY 10004-1511 Phone: 1-800-342-3736 (Toll-Free in NY) or 212-709-3500 Website: https://www.dfs.ny.gov Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Eastern Time)
State Level Agencies and Laws Protecting Consumers against Robocalls, Telemarketers, and Debt Collection Calls in New York:
- New York State Do Not Call Law: New York has its own Do Not Call Law (General Business Law Article 26, Section 399-Z), which allows consumers to add their phone numbers to the state’s Do Not Call Registry.
- New York State Telemarketing Sales Rule: The New York State Telemarketing Sales Rule (13 NYCRR Part 1, Section 44) regulates telemarketing practices within the state, protecting consumers from deceptive and abusive telemarketing calls.
- New York State Debt Collection Regulation: The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) oversees debt collection agencies and enforces the New York State Debt Collection Regulation (23 NYCRR Part 1, Section 1).
- New York Consumer Fraud Act: The New York Consumer Fraud Act (General Business Law Article 22-A, Section 349) prohibits deceptive acts and practices in consumer transactions, including those related to robocalls and telemarketing.
How to Make a Report:
To file a complaint about robocall violations, telemarketing scams, debt collection abuses, or other consumer-related issues in New York, you can contact the New York State Division of Consumer Protection at 1-800-697-1220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For complaints related to financial services, including debt collection agencies, contact the New York State Department of Financial Services at 1-800-342-3736 or visit their website for online complaint submission.
To register for the New York State Do Not Call Registry, visit https://www.donotcall.gov/ny/ and follow the instructions provided.