Rhode Island Consumer Protection
- Rhode Island Office of the Attorney General – Consumer Protection Unit: Address: 150 South Main Street, Providence, RI 02903 Phone: 401-274-4400 (Main Office) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: https://www.riag.ri.gov/divisions/consumer.php Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Eastern Time)
State Level Agencies and Laws Protecting Consumers against Robocalls, Telemarketers, and Debt Collection Calls in Rhode Island:
- Rhode Island Telemarketing Sales Calls Act: The Rhode Island Telemarketing Sales Calls Act (R.I. Gen. Laws § 5-61-1 et seq.) regulates telemarketing practices in the state and establishes guidelines for telemarketers, including maintaining “Do Not Call” lists.
- Rhode Island Fair Debt Collection Practices Act: The Rhode Island Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (R.I. Gen. Laws § 19-14.1-1 et seq.) protects consumers from abusive and deceptive debt collection practices.
- Rhode Island Identity Theft Protection Act: The Rhode Island Identity Theft Protection Act (R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-49.2-1 et seq.) aims to safeguard personal information and provides procedures for reporting and addressing identity theft.
How to Make a Report:
To report robocalls, telemarketing scams, debt collection issues, or other consumer-related concerns in Rhode Island, you can contact:
- Rhode Island Office of the Attorney General – Consumer Protection Unit: Call 401-274-4400 or email email@example.com to file a complaint or seek assistance.
- Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission (PUC) – Division of Public Utilities and Carriers: For complaints related to utility service providers or telemarketing calls from utility companies, you can reach the PUC at 401-780-9700 or via their website: https://www.ripuc.ri.gov/utilityinfo/complaint.html
- Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation (DBR) – Consumer Protection Unit: The DBR handles complaints related to certain businesses and industries. You can contact them at 401-462-9500 or visit their website: https://www.dbr.ri.gov/divisions/commlicensing/consumer.php
For reporting unwanted robocalls and telemarketing scams at the national level, you can also contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ or call 1-888-382-1222.