Virginia Consumer Protection
- Virginia Office of the Attorney General – Consumer Protection Section: Address: 900 East Main Street, Richmond, VA 23219 Phone: 1-800-552-9963 (Consumer Protection Hotline) or 804-786-2042 (Main Office) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: https://www.oag.state.va.us/consumer-protection Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Eastern Time)
- Virginia State Corporation Commission: Address: Tyler Building, 1300 East Main Street, Richmond, VA 23219 Phone: 804-371-9967 (Consumer Services Hotline) Email: email@example.com Website: https://www.scc.virginia.gov/pages/Consumer-Home Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:15 AM – 5:00 PM (Eastern Time)
State Level Agencies and Laws Protecting Consumers against Robocalls, Telemarketers, and Debt Collection Calls in Virginia:
- Virginia Consumer Protection Act: The Virginia Consumer Protection Act (Virginia Code Title 59.1, Chapter 17) safeguards consumers from deceptive and unconscionable practices, including those related to robocalls, telemarketing, and debt collection.
- Virginia Telephone Privacy Protection Act: The Virginia Telephone Privacy Protection Act (Virginia Code Title 59.1, Chapter 23) prohibits unsolicited and prerecorded voice message calls to consumers without their prior consent.
- National Do Not Call Registry: Virginia residents can register their phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry to reduce unwanted telemarketing calls. To register and for more information, visit https://www.donotcall.gov/.
How to Make a Report:
To report robocalls, telemarketing scams, debt collection issues, or other consumer-related concerns in Virginia, you can contact:
- Virginia Office of the Attorney General – Consumer Protection Section: Call 1-800-552-9963 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to file a complaint or seek assistance with consumer-related matters.
- Virginia State Corporation Commission – Division of Public Utility Regulation: If you are experiencing issues with phone service providers or have concerns about telemarketing, email email@example.com or call 804-371-9967.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): To report unwanted robocalls and telemarketing scams at the national level, contact the FTC at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ or call 1-888-382-1222.